Sonata Bulletin Board
Chris Bentley

Well Done Jack!

In the interests of communication I have repeated my message to Jack here, it was first posted in the Web Matters Forum just now.

Hope you all agree.

"Thanks, Jack, for a nice fresh, clean site. I only hope we can persuade members to use it more.

Chris"

In the interests of the last sentence, I am about to use our Facebook page to do similar and re-draw attention to our website, particularly the Forums, where, I think, we are under-utilising a great asset. If you agree, join me and others in our Forum posts. Now that Jack has taken the trouble, entirely off his own bat I suspect, to give us a significant new look, we should support the site by increasing our participation.

I appreciate the value Facebook, I really do, but our website has always been first class, a huge resource, a great means of communication and, I hesitate, but something more professional and serious than Facebook, befitting a now fairly senior Class Association and a National Class to boot. Good heavens, do you appreciate that the Sonata is a whisker away from becoming a "Classic Yacht" in terms of the Classic Yacht Association GB's rules? We have the age, well, some of us do. True, we are not made of wood with long overhangs bow and stern, nether do we have a gaff. But then, neither do some of the other "Classic" boats that I raced with across the Channel this Summer. It's a thought, isn't it? Dave Thomas would have been really chuffed to know that his fag-packet sketch for a 'family cruiser' could ever consider that. I might have a go at it. Me and my boat qualify on age, me especially, not sure how CYA GB might view my hull shape and rig, but, whatever, the parameters might be flexible!

Chris

Mark Taylor    0

Jack, I would just like to echo the comments from Chris......the new look website looks a lot better and hopefully will get more traffic! Best regards Mark

Jack Hardie    0

Thanks for the kind words. Yep, I thought it needed an upgrade so I just did it. As well as the new look, it's mobile friendly and has some new features. It's now a Wordpress site so should be easier to keep up-to-date without losing the mass of older-but-still-valuable stuff.

I think the Facebook page and the website complement each other. My take on it is the website provides current news items, a shop-front for anyone interested in the class, an authoritative source of class information and an archive of hints, tips, stories, history and all the rest of it.

Always happy to discuss how the web site might develop in the future.

Cheers

jack